To say the least Dillon maybe one of the most moved towns in the state of Colorado. Established January 26, 1883 Dillon has since moved three times, until its final spot, where the town is located today.
The original location for the Town of Dillon was created for convenience for the travelers and settlers of young Summit County. Located between a trading post and a stage stop Dillon Colorado was born. The town was initially located on the northeast side of the snake river which was known at the time as Blue River Valley. The Dillon Mining Company patented a 320 acre parcel and divided it into lots.
After the boom of the railroad and the Denver, Rio Grande train came right through Blue River Valley, but it managed to bypass the small emerging town of Dillon. After deliberation with the few town folk, they decided it was time to move the town closer to the rail road tracks. The town was then moved across the Blue River to the western side of where the tracks were laid.
In 1892, Dillon found a new home for the town. When the Denver South Park and Pacific Railroad came to town, for necessity it needed to be closer to the tracks. The town was then created in the confluence of three rivers: The Blue, the Ten Mile and the Snake. This allowed the Town to provide one railroad station for both lines running through.
The town would stay in this location for many years until The Denver Water Board decided to dam the Blue River. Dillon was thriving, between 1950 and 1960 the population had increased from 191 to 814. Granted many of these residents were workers for the Denver Water Board in the creation of the dam, none the less, Dillon found itself to be the largest town in Summit County.
The idea of damming the Blue was thought of early on but the Denver Water Board did not act upon it until the Great Depression. By this point the water board had bought up almost all the water rights in the valley and was just waiting for a ‘spot.’ Due to the fact that most residents could not pay their taxes it was easy for Denver Water to come in and purchase all their land and homes for the price of unpaid back taxes. In 1956 remaining residents of Dillon were notified they had to sell or move by September 15, 1961. This is when the town would be flooded to make lake Dillon. Residents had the choice to move their structure to where the final town would be located, at their own expense. Most residents chose not to, most could not afford to. Several what are now historic buildings were moved from the old town to surrounding areas in Summit County. The church, town hall, IOOF Hall, and the Arapahoe cafe were taken to what would be the new town of Dillon. Antlers cafe/bar and the Kremmling store were taken to neighboring town of Frisco. The Hamilton Dillon Hotel was transported to Breckenridge. Finally the Mint, The Old Dillon Inn, Wildwood Bar, the post office and the general store were transported to the new Town of Silverthorne. The remaining buildings were burned and destroyed to get the area ready for the reservoir. These buildings still rest 203 feet deep in the Dillon Reservoir.
Today roughly 1,000 residents call Dillon their home. At peak time during the ski season there are up to 5,000 visitors. With Summit County’s only bowling alley and award winning restaurants it is not hard to fall in love with the permanent location of Dillon. With extensive knowledge of the town and County the Omni Real Estate team can find your Dillon home, condo or water front property!